Thursday, October 1, 2009

Beaten by the Tracys

Well, that was interesting! Last Sunday's 10 K in Omaha wasn't what I expected it to be. Since circumstances had gotten in the way of actually training for it, I was led to believe that we would be walking most of the way. Piece of cake, right? Wrong.

We ran almost the entire way. Once we got out there, my wife's competitive juices got going and, well, so did we! I'm proud to say that I kept up. Tracy and I ran together the whole way. With Tracy's background running half marathons, she seemed to handle things pretty well. I'm in basketball shape, but distance running is a different thing altogether. After about four miles, parts of my body that I haven't heard from in years were starting to "talk back" to me in protest! But we kept going.

A ways ahead of us was Tracy's childhood friend, Tracy H., who also has run some half marathons before. Tracy H. ran without the benefit of training as well, but unlike my Tracy, Tracy H. is currently undergoing chemotherapy for her cancer. How hardcore is that? Running a 10K while going through chemo? Unreal. I doubt that many have accomplished that feat.

And by the way, both Tracys beat me Sunday. Guess after battling cancer, beating me was a piece of cake...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Well, I am pretty sure you LET us "beat" you, and you also left the part out where I asked you at about mile 5 for a piggy-back ride!....and while my feet kept moving, most of the time my brain was thinking "What the H are we doing here?!?" Especially on the hill right in front of the Civic! BUT...I appreciate you making me sound "bad ass" in this BLOG! HUGS! I love Trac! You two are blessed to have each other!