Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Update on New Year's Resolutions

How are your New Year's resolutions going? Last year, I came up with a list of 10 things I wanted to accomplish. I achieved none of them. In fact, by February I could not remember most of them. Of course, the major focus of 2008 was the wedding and Tracy's diagnosis. But this is a new year. So this is my official resolution update to anyone that cares.

My two goals for 2009 are to finish 10 books and to dunk a basketball at the age of 40. Despite my height, I haven't been able to jump high enough to dunk for several years. So that goal is fitness related and I'm getting closer but haven't got there yet. As for my reading goal, I have finished two books so far. One was The Last Juror by one of my favorite authors, John Grisham. The other book that I've read is The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, which is the story of a college professor who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was asked to give a final lecture at his school. It's a quick read and a very touching story. I would recommend it to anyone and I think that book brings to light just how far we have to go in the fight against cancer. Pancreatic cancer, I'm told, has only a 5% survival rate beyond five years.

No comments: