Thursday, March 18, 2010

March Madness

As a life-long basketball junkie, this is one of my favorite times of the year-- March Madness, the NCAA basketball tournament. I love the excitement of each game as the best teams in college basketball participate in the one loss and you're out tournament. The fact that March Madness comes at a time of year when days are getting longer and weather is warming up only makes it that much better.

One team that I will be pulling for is BYU. I did pick the Cougars to win a few games in the tourney so that's a reason for rooting for them. But the other reason is their coach, Dave Rose, who is currently winning in his battle with pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed last year and was fortunate enough (if I could use the word "fortunate" and pancreatic cancer in the same sentence) to have a rare type of pancreatic cancer that actually progresses more slowly. And Rose appears to be winning, even getting a clean cancer scan last fall. Coach Rose is an inspiration to BYU fans everywhere and I'm going to be pulling for his team this month.

No comments: