Thursday, December 4, 2008

What I Learned at the Hospital

Get a second opinion.

Sometimes we seem to put blind trust in our doctors. It's probably the most trusted profession that exists, probably close behind airline pilots and school bus drivers. And doctors are held in high esteem. But nobody can be right all of the time. And we were blindsided by this devastating news.

Tracy was aware of the lump for over a year. She was told that it wasn't anything to worry about. An ultrasound early on didn't show any cancer. But as time went by, I wonder if more follow up should have been done. A needle biopsy perhaps? How about a mammogram? I suppose it's possible that the cancer developed inside the pre-existing cyst. But how about some follow up?

I know that I could have been more insistent early on myself since I was dating Tracy at the time. It's always healthier to focus on what you could have done differently rather than blame other or hold grudges. There are a lot of "what ifs".

The bottom line, is that Tracy had to be her own advocate. And I thank God that she had the awareness, education, and desire to go back to the doctor and insist on a biopsy. In many ways, I think we all have Tracy's friend, "the other blond", to thank. Tracy Lingwall Harnly has educated so many of us on the dangers of breast cancer and I know that my wife has followed her blog and spoke of her often. "The other blond" may have saved my Tracy's life.

To hear more about the "other blond's story", she had a neat video made about her by the American Cancer Society.

1 comment:

Gery Carson said...

My dad, also a victim of cancer at a relatively young age, went undiagnosed for many months, months that could have saved his life. If you knew my dad, the sweet man he was, you won't be surprised to know that he didn't blame his doctor for this deadly mistake. Can't say I feel quite the same way.

The bottom line is that Daryl is 1000% correct. ALWAYS seek another opinion. ALWAYS.

Hang in there, buddy!

Gery