Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Round Four

We made the trip to Omaha yesterday and we've now embarked on "Round Four" of chemo. We have only two more treatments to go before we can go onto her next category of treatment... surgery. But first, more fun with chemo!! I make light of it, but there's really nothing funny about it. Cancer is a very serious deal and I think that going through chemo truly is a fight. It's a fight to keep it from dominating your life. It takes away your hair and makes you feel ill. And it can do much more than that. It can change your life style, your outlook on life, if you let it. That's why I call it a fight. And I know that I'm not the first person to make that comparison. I won't be the last.

Kay Yow died over the weekend. She was the women's basketball coach at North Carolina State. She had a 20 year fight with breast cancer. She was 66. She did so much for breast cancer awareness and I'm sure that her story will continue to inspire more and more people to act against this disease. Coach Yow was diagnosed in 1987. At the time, the men's coach at NC State was Jim Valvano. Coach Valvano was very supportive of Coach Yow at the time. But not long after that, Coach Valvano ("Jimmy V") would lose his own fight with cancer. His coaching friends and ESPN combined forces to form the Jimmy V Foundation that raises money for cancer research.

No comments: